Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dracula Music

As a composer, musician and teacher, is very likely that I heard most of the music over the years. However, I still love the music of the film, and especially, old horror movie soundtracks (think Hammer Films, etc..) Dracula is a solid favorite!

Let's start with the music of Philip Glass, Quartet composed for the 1931 Bela Lugosi classic Dracula movies from the beautiful Kronos String.

Glass is a minimalist style suitable well to this topic. The album is a modern sound, but with a kind of timeless chamber-music quality, and is a good company just film dialogue.

Fingerprints usual glass are here: stubborn repetitive arpeggios, motivations, and rocking two-note bass lines, but touched with delicate, lyrical moments. For me (as a melody man at heart!), E 'was this melodic moments that the album before too boring prevented. Do not get me wrong, I like the modern, dissonant> Music, but I finally had time for a damn good melody and this album gave me something.

Most of the 26 tracks are quite short (1-4 minutes) and, even if left, are surprisingly melodic. The string is playing very well, as one would expect from the bonds Kronos.

Here are some of my favorite highlights:

"Excellent, Mr. Renfield": a sinister plot planned by repeated ostinato / riff, but with moments of sheer terror, where the quartet suddenly inside the ticking BassThe line keeps things moving and a melody of great resolution over the top rounds of the fly-eating lunatic who lives in prison!

"The Storm": a violent start to the track, full of harmony and very ambiguous memory of a storm. Pizzicato strings produce the rain and wind quickly to create the impression of speed.

'Terrible tragedy' not: sure if this is bi-and tri-tonal! Sounds like every member of the quartet plays in a different key. I like their quality hypnotic and simpleshort riff.

"In the theater": a very catchy melody and simple chord progressions - it reminds me of Phantom of the Opera, for some reason!

"Renfield" sound surprisingly good and enjoyable for our residents crazy! Very classical piece that plays with some anticipated changes and two basses accompanying note, later moved to triplets. Very nice.

This is not the blood of Dracula usually dirty, full of diminished chord and the strings of screams. Yes, it can berepetitive, but the glass seems to offer a wider range of tones than usual, and for this kind of music, I found it very melodic (even if it would be hard pressed to whistle with the CD!).

Perhaps the CD is never tired halfway: 26 tracks are a lot of minimalist music! I must admit that I have not seen the movie with this soundtrack, but I've heard that the images seamlessly in particular "guided vehicle," whereSpinning wheels are clearly visible and the music evokes a feeling of threat.

Overall ... I like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment